Group Purpose Statement
The Albury Wodonga Prostate Cancer Support Group exists to provide support and friendship for prostate cancer sufferers and their carers/partners. We discuss in confidence where members are at with their treatments. We aim to raise awareness of prostate cancer in our community and we welcome new members.
Our group agreement is a set of guidelines for leaders and members to follow and outlines how the group will operate. It should keep us together and on track. It needs to reflect the wishes of the group as a whole, not just be imposed on members. It is a living document (i.e. it can be changed as needed). It sets the tone, sets boundaries and helps manage challenging behaviour. It helps to create a safe environment.
· Confidentiality - keep discussions between group members only. Especially encourage members to regularly share their strengths, skills, insights, successes and hopes.
· Respect - let each person speak without interruption. It is important to actively listen and avoid side conversations.
· Guest Speakers - keep introductions short, give speaker time limit, add question time
· Patience - be patient towards group members, especially those in need
· Constructive discussion - confine group discussions to issues and coping strategies specific to the group, deal with external matters later
· Group ownership - it is your group. Speak out, be respectful and stay on track. We each have the right to ask questions and the right to refuse to answer.
· Finish meetings on time, arrive on time.
· Health professionals - if discussing individuals, only positive experiences are acceptable.